Tucson Camp Day 4

Again I apologize for the lack of editing in my posts.  I am getting this out quickly before we leave again…

Another night of waking every two hours.  I have no idea why I am not sleeping (I think it may be related to my cycle) but I am learning to just accept the lack of sleep and train!  I woke up early today to get a quick 10k done to the top of A mountain.  My legs started a bit slow but things warmed up nicely at the top of the mountain.  It is exactly 5k up and you know your reward at the top is a view of the sun peaking out over the range.  It is one of those places that draw you in and take a breath or two away.

The 5k home is pretty quick considering it is mostly down hill.  As soon as I arrived I hit the breakfast room for a leisurely topping off of the tank.  I was fortunate that our mechanic Scott came in the breakfast room and subtly pointed out that the ride was leaving in 15 minutes!  I totally confused the departure time (we had to load the bikes and drive to Udall park) with the roll time (when we actually would climb Lemmon).

Since everything is spread out in my hotel room, I was able to pull it together quickly and be on my way.  Camps give you great practice on rehearsing how to be ready for each workout.  I usually just reference my triathlon packing sheet quickly before we leave to make sure I have everything.

I was very excited to climb Lemmon today.  Gordo had given me a 90 minute goal and I felt like it was doable.  Until my new powertap died.  Gordo tried to help me with it as the group pulled away up the mountain.  I ended up with no powertap and no one to chase.

It was one of those moments where I can let it ruin my day or use it as a training exercise.  I changed my goal to roll it mod hard (panting mode) up the mountain.  And pant I did, especially as the altitude increased.  I can feel it today in the tiny muscles of my rib cage.

Gordo being the consummate camp professional, practiced the leave no camper behind policy, and stayed with me the whole time.  I don’t think he breathed and he pedaled 20 miles up the mountain with only one leg.

It was cold enough that I put on all my gear for the hour descent.  I am becoming much more comfortable on the new bike at high speeds.  I find it is very stable.  It may twitch a bit with a strong wind gust but it stays under me very well.

Other things I have learned about the Speed Concept:

  • The front water bottle holder on the small needs to be a side loader (I like Arundel)
  • I am much less physically beat up after a day on an all carbon frame.
  • The improved position has eliminated all my hip flexor aches at night.
  • The bike is very responsive which means I need to become more responsive in a pace line after we stop.
  • Carbon is loud.  Things vibrate and echo (especially my wheels).
  • I am running very well after long days on the bike (again improved position).

After our ride, we lunched in the park.  I am really starting to like turkey wraps with avocado!  We arrived back at the hotel at 3pm.  I spent the rest of the day reading, refueling, staying off caffeine, not napping and hydrating.

I had a nice flush out camp massage at 6pm and dinner afterwards.  Our seminar tonight was another good one by Alan Couzens.  He talked about the correlation between Chronic Training Load (CTL) and performance.  If you use training peaks, he is your expert on analyzing your data.

Another good day overall that added a few coins into my emotional management piggy bank.  Tomorrow we swim and complete a run.


This entry was posted in Camp, Training. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

Security Code: